Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Wednesday Hodge Podge and other assorted ramblings

At times doing what I have to do is the hardest thing.  I sort of feel like I should be at a point in my life where I get to do what I want.  Not so.  I saw a commercial last night that made me think.  I don't remember what the ad was for, but at the beginning a woman was out for a walk and stopped to tell us she was 62 with a long life ahead of her.  That had me thinking.  Right now at 48 I feel so - dare I say it? - old.  But really it's not.  I think I'm going through a case of the blues and where I don't feel like I am happy and where I want to be in my life.  Things seem to be missing and I don't know how to go about getting them. 

I like questions that make me think.  I like questions about myself.  Nani over at The Chronicles of Nani had this posted today and I thought I'd give it a shot.



1.  How often do you check the weather?  How do you check the weather?

I am a weather geek.  I could blame it all on Jim Cantore, but honestly I was crazy about the weather even as a little girl.  Jim just helps make it a bit more fun these days.  I love to watch the sky and see if I can predict the weather, but normally I just check TWC.  I check out their website as well as follow them on Twitter. 

2. Since this is volume 84 of the Wednesday Hodgepodge, and since I got married in 1984, and since I'm attending a wedding this weekend it only seems right to post something related here.

"Happiness in marriage is entirely a matter of chance. If the dispositions of the parties are ever so well known to each other or ever so similar beforehand, it does not advance their felicity in the least. They always continue to grow sufficiently unlike afterwards to have their share of vexation; and it is better to know as little as possible of the defects of the person with whom you are to pass your life."
Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

Agree or Disagree. Why?
I can't help but take this as sarcasm.  I have never seen this movie (gasp) so I have no idea if she is serious or not.  Reading it I think of it as a dated sarcastic view of matrimony.  I have known people that got married barely knowing what the other took in their coffee.  They decided for them the journey of getting to know one another was part of their marriage and life.  They are still married and seem quite happy. 


I have also known people that married after a very long engagement.  They were already a couple when they exchanged their vows and had children.  They are also still married.

I think every relationship is different and that every relationship can change.  I don't think we can predict the outcome of a marriage based on what they do or do not know about the other person ahead of time.  I think people are either willing to work on a marriage or they are not.  Tolerance and patience seem very important, as well as mutual respect.  Without those key ingredients I don't see how relationships can survive. 

3.  Do you like to dance?  Have you ever taken dance lessons?

Dancing is okay.  I prefer to listen to music and not dance.  I have not ever taken lessons.

4.  Fresh from the oven peach pie?  Or homemade peach ice cream?

Ice cream.  I cannot pass up ice cream.  I prefer pie over cake, and peach is a favorite of mine, but I love ice cream.

5.  Should people accept unfairness and learn to make the best of it?

Oh boy.  You really want to start something with me, don't you?  I am a Libra.  The balance of the scales I feel lies entirely on my shoulders.  I am old enough to know you cannot and will not ever please everyone all the time.  However, I am also of the mind that when the truth is right in front of you and you choose to not see it or accept it because it's not what you WANT, then you are beyond help and certainly beyond my sympathy or empathy.  You are not entitled nor do you rate anything simply because you are human.  Other than basic human rights, of course.  I believe in being rewarded for hard work and ethical living.  I do not believe in a society where wealth is distributed.  Eventually all those working hard will realize they are not getting the benefits of doing so and stop.  There has to be a reward.  Not everyone has the same taste.  One person's idea of luxury is not for another, so trying to make things fair is based on emotions rather than logic for most people.  I am going to quote my DH who always says, "Fair is what they hold at Del Mar once a year."  Del Mar being the fairgrounds in Del Mar, CA.  I think you catch the gest.

6. The top five all time summer movie blockbusters (released between May and August and grossing at least 100 million dollars) are-Jaws, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Star Wars (the original), Ghostbusters, and ET. Which one's your favorite?
I'm going with Raiders of the Lost Ark.  For many reasons, but mostly because I think Harrison Ford is amazing.  The adventure of the movie was exciting and interesting. 


7.  If given the chance would you like to visit the moon?

I am undecided.  Part of me thinks no way could I pass up an opportunity like that.  I mean, really?  The moon?  Of course I want to go!  As long as it was at a reasonable cost and it wasn't like I got one wish and that was it.  I'd pass if that were the case.

8.  Insert your own random thought here.

Why do stupid people always seem to win the lottery?  Every day I sit in front of my computerized budget tracker and because it's done in Excel I will often make an imaginary deposit for an amount way above my normal paycheck.  No matter what, I still move money into savings first.  Someon could give me $500,000 and I would never have to work another day in my life nor would I require any assisted funding from the government.  I would stop working at my job, but I would continue to "work".  Nothing makes me crazyier than hearing about lottery winners who end up broke.  I think there should be a rule against stupid people playing the lottery.

3 comments:

  1. Very, very interesting post today. I really like it. I just turned 48 last week and I feel I am in a big ole slump. Menopause, which mind you never makes the men in my life pause before approaching me is making me crazy, sad, slow, weepy and did I say crazy? I know the last two years I have had way too much on my plate and I am not adjusting to all the pressure and change. I am not where I want to be but I think the situations surrounding are preventing that. So I try to knit or crochet, I take a book outside and read even if it is warm out, just to try and regroup. I think this period in our lives is the very hardest it will be. Sending you a hug,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Meredith and thanks for the hug. I sure needed it. I am in a slump, too. I feel like I should be breaking free of the ball and chain that ties me down, but I can't figure out what that ball and chain is (are)? I feel a constant emotional and physical drain from my every day life that I can't put a finger on. Like a heavy weight that is lying on me keeping me down. I keep thinking if I could just move that weight I would be doing so much and be so happy. Sending a hug your way as well...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you on the frustration of stupid people winning the lottery and blowing it all. I also can't get behind and feel good for someone who spends their last dollar on a ticket when they had bills to pay or groceries to buy for their kids. That lack of ability to reasonably prioritize tells you they're a few years away from broke again. Yeesh!

    I interpreted "fair" as everyone getting what they *need* and what they've earned. If I'm not getting something I've earned because someone who doesn't need grabbed the last one, that's the kind of unfair I have trouble with. I don't understand greed because sharing is so much more gratifying. My "fair" is much smaller after 18 years of trying to be fair with twins around! LOL

    ReplyDelete