Monday, October 3, 2011

Welcome!

I debated whether to call this blog "Beyond Obsessed" because at times that's how I feel about crocheting.  To say my stash is large would be an understatement, but you first need to understand why it's so large before you decide if it's too large or just right.  I started crocheting years ago when I was 12 or 13.  My Aunt Sue taught me and along with cousin, Julie (who I will refer to often) we learned our art through trial and error.  Julie and I have had a connection from the beginning so it's no wonder really she and I share a love for crochet.  I dabbled with it all through school and then immediately upon graduation I joined the Marine Corps.  I didn't pick it up again until I was pregnant with my son in 1989.  My husband at the time was not supportive of my craft and I found it difficult to get enthusiastic about it.  I ended up overseas on an unaccompanied tour and as fate would have it my roomie was also a crocheter.  Charlene had her own stitch, and even today I've never been able to duplicate it.  She and I would share yarn as we could get it.  In those days (1990) the overseas exchange carried a very small inventory of yarns.  There was no Internet ordering then!  Money was tight and yarn was precious.  But together we sat for hours watching movies and crocheting. 

I met my now husband while I was there.  He and I were inseparable and he encouraged my crocheting.  That's where it all began the second time around.  I haven't stopped since.  I've been fortunate in that I have been able to buy yarn whenever the urge hits me.  Like many I buy yarn with good intentions only to find the project just will not come together or the colors I have selected are all wrong.  So the yarn goes into my stash.  Recently my Mother ran into a friend who's Mother was recently put into hospice.  She had a room of yarn my mother's friend didn't know what to do with.  My Mother said I would gladly take it and I became the owner of a large stash of yarn - most of it vintage. 

My husband and I are in the process of moving from California to Ohio.  I put my beloved yarn into sturdy plastic containers for shipping and they are sitting in our California house waiting to be loaded onto a truck to arrive at our newly purchased house in Ohio.  I have been in Ohio since early July working and on the weekends I was searching for our retirement home.  I finally found our piece of heaven in mid August and we just closed Escrow.  Move in is T-27 days - give or take a week.  At that time I will set up my yarn room with the help of my Handyman Hubby.  He is going to build me a wall of cubbies for my yarn.  That's when the real journey will begin for me and I hope you decide to come along for the ride!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment