Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Time for a Change?

I'm beginning to notice that every morning it's more and more difficult to get myself out of bed.  That's not me.  Normally I am awake prior to the alarm going off and getting out of bed has never been a struggle.  I realize on a daily basis that it is my job that is doing this to me.  I know a lot of people would welcome coming into work and sitting in front of a computer for 8 hours and not do a darn thing, but honestly I can't handle it.  It's not rewarding.  It's not challenging.  It's not fun.  I've been through the entire Web, twice.  ; -)

If someone asked me my dream job (aside from crocheting half a day and working horses the other half) I would say to stand at the entrance of a warehouse the size of a football field and open the door to see nothing but stacks of paper and for someone to tell me your new job is to organize "this".  As nuts as that might sound, bringing order to that chaos would thrill me to the ends of the Earth. 

Because I had my resume out on Monster, I often still get emails from recruiters and yesterday I had a very interesting one...  Too often they are for positions in other states and contracts lasting only 6 months.  This one, however, was quite different.  Located in the same city I work in now; 24 month contract and the description of the job reads like this:  "Looking for contractors to sort through and file over 3 million documents."  Is this me or what??  I am going to contact the recruiter today.  The first chance I have with my current manager I am going to ask him his plans for me.  I want to give him the benefit of the doubt and allow him the opportunity to tell me what my future looks like. 

I spent most of last night in front of my DH's computer.  A friend is helping me figure out why it keeps locking up.  Last night he remoted in and found quite a few updates for Windows and such, so I was up till 10 installing them.  This morning we were so anxious to check out the computer and it ran great for about 6 minutes and then froze up - again.  Le Sigh.  We are both thinking this particular hard drive tower will make target practice before too long. 

I hope everyone is having a great week.  You guys have been pretty quiet out there...  Miss reading your posts!

SONG OF THE BLOG:  "A Thousand Years" by Christina Perri

4 comments:

  1. You know, that would be my dream job too - I love organizing and filing. Good luck to you - I hope it all works out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are the very first person that has ever thought I wasn't crazy for wanting that type of job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think you are crazy! I cannot stand to be bored! Absolutely hate it!! I like my current position because things are varied enough that I am not bored, execpt in our slow times and I usually try to help out somewhere else then. The only thing I don't like is the comute-1 hour 15 mins, one way. So for 2 1/2 hours a day I am driving. The gas is killing me and I'm so tired by the time i get home that I don't want to do anything but sit like a couch potatoe. My ideal job? Working on my own farm. I want to raise veggies and I want to raise sheep so I can make my own yarn. Sounds silly, but that's what I really want. All this sitting on my bottom behind a desk is making my bottom fat! Hope that you can either get something good out of your current employer or that you get the new job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks FoFo! I know most people like to be productive and have a rewarding job, so I guess I'm not that crazy. And I'm with you -- I sit way too much on my rear and it's definitely getting bigger. I went for a check up with my doctor and we were talking about how tired I am. He told me that sitting all day actually makes you more tired. Moving more increases your overall energy levels. Makes sense to me, which is just one more reason why I can't wait for the girls to be in the backyard. There is always some task that needs done! And I am certain when spring comes along the warmer weather will just improve my overall activity level. I have an hour commute. I don't mind the driving but I do mind losing those two hours of my life. But on the other hand it's the only time I have alone so I soak it up.

    ReplyDelete